Some days we need something fast. I mean like super fast. Today was one of those days. I had just gotten home from work and soccer practice with two very hungry children. Flustered, I looked in my fridge and found some two-day-old leftover Pei Wei brown rice and veggies and a container of broccoli. I was so tired and was very close to just microwaving that for my kids and calling it dinner…BUT I DIDN’T! I had to will myself to make something fresh but I didn’t know what to make. I looked into my freezer and found a bag of frozen, organic non-GMO corn and then cooked up my healthy reinforcement staple of quinoa. Together, they make a pretty yummy meal for my kids. Quinoa provides an excellent mixture of carbs and protein, while the corn gives some great fiber.
Quick meals: Corn and Quinoa
- One frozen bag of corn
- One cup of cooked quinoa
- Salt and Pepper to tate
- Pour the entire bag of corn on a skillet and warm it until it starts to sizzle. When it does, turn it down to 3.0 or so and let it warm nice and slow.
- Add water a teaspoon at a time to keep it from burning. Whatever you do, try to stay away from the microwave.
- Scoop 1 cup of dry quinoa, rinse it with water and pour it into a pot with 2 cups of filtered water for cooking.
- Once it starts to boil, turn it to a simmer for 12 minutes and you're done!
- Once the corn is done add some salt to taste and enjoy!