Hearty Chickpea Salad In Just Five Minutes!
If you’ve recently transitioned to a plant-based diet, chances are you’re missing some of your old faves! Forget the chicken salad and look at this awesome chickpea salad! Are chickpeas good for you? Of course they are!
The combination of spicy brown mustard, fresh dill, and the other ingredients really provide the taste we crave. What if we could achieve a similar texture, taste and even more quality protein from chickpeas than its chicken counterpart? This recipe goes well on crackers or a sandwich! Top it off with some avocado or fresh tomato and you’ve got yourself one deliciously healthy, plant-strong lunch in just seven minutes!
Are Chickpeas Good For You?
You know it! Chickpeas are a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber! They may offer a variety of health benefits, such as improving digestion, aiding weight management and reducing the risk of several diseases. Additionally, chickpeas are high in protein and make an excellent replacement for meat in vegetarian and vegan diets.
What Are Chickpeas?
In short, a chickpea is part of the legume family, which means they are a great source of protein for plant-based families. There are several ways you can buy them:
- Dried: Look for them in the bulk section of your grocery or with the canned goods. They are typically found in bags and once opened can be stored in an airtight container for up to a year.
- Canned: Canned chickpeas are pre-cooked chickpeas. They are also my favorite way to use them because we are a busy plant-based family who is low on time. Just eat them straight out of the can, but be sure to rinse them first!
- In flour: Chickpea flour is rare but totally usable. A great alternative to your traditional baking flour.
This Hearty Vegan Chickpea Salad is:
- able to be made 100% plant-based with avocado
- great on crackers
- a true party pleaser
- makes an excellent party side item
And if you loved this chickpea salad, you have to check out this delish chickpea salad sandwich.
Hearty Chickpea Salad
You can also make this recipe completely oil-free by subbing mashed avocado for your vegan mayo
- 1 can of organic chickpeas 15 oz. can
- 1/4 cup of crushed cashews optional
- 3 tablespoons of your favorite vegan mayo *OR* use an avocado for WFPB diets
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1/2 of a chopped onion red adds some great color, but white works too
- 1/2 cup of diced organic carrots
- 1/2 cup of diced organic celery
- 1/2 to 1 tsp of dijon or spicy yellow mustard
- sprinkle of fresh dill
Pour all ingredients in a big bowl, mix it together and eat it! I like to put all of the ingredients into my blender or food processor and pulse it a few times till it gets a creamy consistency. Up to you...some like it chunky and some like it smooth. It is all a matter of personal preference. Either way, put it in a sandwich or eat it on a healthy cracker and you are all set! Doesn't get much simpler than that, does it? Enjoy!