Cherry season means that it is time for some Cherry Almond Swirl Pops! I have to admit…it is one of my favorite times of year. Summer is here and that means you can find cherries in the grocery store and they make some wonderfully healthy desserts. In this recipe, the creamy coconut base balances the bright cherry flavor perfectly and the almond adds an extra dimension of depth. The recipe takes some time, but it is easy to follow and the reward it a sweet flavor treat!
The key ingredient in this recipe is full-fat coconut milk, which you can find in any grocery store. It helps give the pop its body and creaminess, so please don’t mistake it for normal liquid coconut milk that you would find in the plant-based milk section.
Vegan Cherry Almond Swirl Popsicles
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons pure almond extract to taste
- 2 cups Bing cherries pitted and quartered
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Mix together coconut milk, sugar, and almond extract in a medium bowl. Chill mixture in the refrigerator for 2 hours. This makes the marbling effect easier.
- Combine cherries and sugar in a medium bowl. Let stand 30 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Place cherries and their juices in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the almond extract. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently until cherries have softened.
- Blend the cherries lightly, leaving some texture. I love the immersion blender for this but use what you have in the kitchen.
- Starting with the coconut mixture, put a few tablespoons into the mold, alternating layers of the cherry mixture in between. Use a butter knife or chopstick to swirl the mixtures together. Freeze for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- To remove the pops, run the mold under warm water for a few seconds. Then wiggle the stick back and forth and pull up with gentle pressure.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!