This warm potato leek soup recipe is one of our favorites. The fact that it is vegan, deliciously healthy and is filling enough to enjoy any time of year, makes it rise to the top of our favorite easy plant-based meals. The quick wild rice helps to make it into a scrumptious meal that my whole family enjoys! But take note: leeks can be very sandy. Look closely to see if you see any sand inside the layers of the leek, and rinse out any that you find.
This Vegan Potato Leek Soup Recipe is:
- hearty and filling
- great for anyone looking add to their plant-based meal plans
- less than 3 steps to make
- A great part of a plant-based diet for kids
- An easy option for lunch or dinner
Warm Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- 2 leeks well cleaned & thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen shredded potatoes or hashbrowns
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup microwaveable wild rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp coriander
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh parsley chopped
- Remember leeks can be very muddy.
- To prepare them: rinse them well, then remove one or two of the outside layers. Cut the leeks off just above the roots and then cut the tops off where they turn dark green. Discard the cut off pieces and slice the leeks lengthwise down the middle. Look closely to see if you see any mud or silt inside the layers of the leek, and rinse out any that you find. Put the leek halves flat side down on the cutting board to thinly slice them.
- In a medium sized pot, over medium heat, sauté the leeks, potatoes and garlic in the water for five minutes, stirring often.
- Add the broth, rice, and the coriander, and continue cooking for five more minutes over medium-high heat.
- Salt and pepper to taste and, top with freshly chopped parsley.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!