As you can imagine, I like vegan and plant-based Facebook groups. In fact, I am in several and love the friendly conversation and unique ideas on how to keep recipes interesting. One day, I was in one of my groups and someone posted that they were craving a vegan hot dog, but were incredibly dissatisfied with the store-bought vegan varieties. I have to agree. It was nice to have a vegan option, but it felt gross with all of those fake ingredients pumped into the shape of a hot dog. It got me thinking. I remembered seeing carrot dogs somewhere in my life and have always been fascinated by them. After purchasing an Instant Pot® pressure cooker recently, I thought I would take a stab at carrot dogs and it was a HUGE success. Not only were they delicious, but THE KIDS ATE THEM! Now of course you don’t have to have an Instant Pot® to make this recipe…you can use a traditional steamer, but it might take a bit more time to steam your carrots. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did.
Prep Time: 3 minutes, Steam Time: 5 minutes; Total Time: 8 minutes
Serving Size: 4
- Four whole, organic carrots (rinsed, ends cut off)
- 2-3 cups of water or veggie broth (your choice)
- Your favorite package of vegan, whole wheat hot dog buns
- 1 large green apple
- 1 can of organic cranberry sauce
1. Fill your Instant Pot® with 2 or 3 cups of water. You at least want to go to the “2” mark on the inside markings.
2. Slice the ends off of your carrots and place all four of them in your Instant Pot®. Close the lid and press the “steam” button. Set the time somewhere between 3-5 minutes. I like mine still a tiny bit crispy, not all the way mushy, so I set it on three minutes. Let the pot do it’s thing, performing a quick steam release at the end of cooking.
3. While the pot is rockin’, go ahead and cut your apple into diced up, tiny, little squares and get your cranberry sauce open and ready.
4. When your pot is done and your carrots are ready, place them in the middle of your whole wheat bun and line the sides with your apple pieces and cover the top with a hefty line of cranberry sauce. Devour!
The link above to Amazon is our affiliate link. If you choose to purchase, Amazon will throw us some loose commission change. Thank you so much for clicking if you are interested.
*This post is NOT sponsored by anyone, including Instant Pot. We just love their product.
Latest posts by Lean Green DAD™ (see all)
- A Dad’s Guide To The Perfect Mother’s Day Breakfast In Bed - April 21, 2017
- Jill McKeever: Bunny Ears & Simple Daily Recipes! - April 10, 2017
- Review: Inside The Beyond Burger – Why It’s So Good - April 8, 2017