We already know that spinach is good for us. Full of vitamins and minerals, this green addition to our smoothies and wraps fits right in! When fresh, spinach has a light taste that doesn’t interfere with other flavors in our tasty drinks and sandwiches. In this recipe, however, spinach is the main star, surrounded by a cast of supporting characters like coriander, paprika, and ground black pepper to help make it shine! If you are feeling particularly Irish, this one’s for you!
Prep Time: 5 minutes, Cook Time: 10 minutes, Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 bunch of fresh, organic, baby spinach, well rinsed and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil (optional)
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. paprika
- sea salt to taste
1. In a small saucepan, heat the avocado oil and the flour over medium heat, stirring often. Remove the pan from the heat as soon as the mixture begins to brown – this will take about five to seven minutes.
2. Add the garlic and the almond milk to the mixture and return the pan to the heat. Continue to cook, stirring often, until the mixture thickens. This will take another three to five minutes.
3. Add the spinach and the spices to the mixture and continue stirring until the spinach is wilted and turns a vibrant green color.
4. Remove the pan from heat and serve the creamed spinach hot, with a sprinkle of paprika. Serve as a side dish, or with Ezekiel toast points for a light meal.
*Health Watch! This recipe contains non-GMO avocado oil. While many oils are non-GMO, all oils are high in saturated fat, calorically dense, and should be limited or eliminated to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Latest posts by Lean Green DAD™ (see all)
- Elementary Students Use Bike-Powered Garden To Grow Food - March 22, 2017
- Orange Mango Bliss Smoothie - March 17, 2017
- Instant Cinnamon Apple Sweet Potatoes - March 9, 2017