Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite things. For so long before our family was vegan, I looked forward to Thanksgiving. It wasn’t the turkey and it wasn’t the mashed potatoes…it was the sweet potatoes covered in marshmallows! Since our transition to a plant-based diet, it has been difficult to recreate it the right way…until NOW! I was experimenting in my kitchen with a combination of flavors and found that when these three ingredients (maple, marshmallow, sweet potato) are combined, it made for a really wonderful treat. This recipe is not a brilliant piece of culinary excellence, but it is darn good and it is my duty as Lean Green DAD to tell you about it! Enjoy!
Prep Time: 2 minutes, Cook Time: 55 minutes, Total Time: 57 minutes
- Two large sweet potatoes
- One bag of Dandies Vegan Marshmallows (you can find the on Amazon by clicking or at Whole Foods Market)
- Pure maple syrup
1. With a fork, stab the whole sweet potato in a circle around the outside. This will help it bake faster. When you have stabbed 10-15 puncture holes in it, cut each sweet potato in half.
2. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for close to 55 minutes. Keep an eye on them. The tops will begin to brown slightly and the skin will easily peel off. Remember you DO NOT need to add any oil or anything like that. They are perfect just the way they are!
3. When they are done, use a fork to mash and break up the potato inside the skin so you have a nice, warm mash. Use the mini marshmallows to add as many as you’d like (we use 4-5 mini marshmallows) and then top it off with a tiny bit of maple syrup, which will seep into your mash and create a flavor that will make you smile on a cold day. Heck, it will make you smile on any kinda day! Enjoy!
Latest posts by Lean Green DAD™ (see all)
- Vegan Muscle Man Robert Cheeke! - June 21, 2017
- Drafted Into Fatherhood: From Waterboy to Quarterback - June 16, 2017
- Dick Hoyt – The Dad All Dads Should Look Up To - June 14, 2017