There is something about sweet potatoes that just make me happy. Warm sweet potatoes feel like home and this recipe was a nice addition to my holiday festivities, but appropriate all year round as well. Making your own homemade cranberry sauce is very satisfying…especially when you use cranberries while they are at season’s peak.
*Health Watch – This recipe contains coconut oil. While many of the oils used are non-GMO, all oils are high in saturated fat, calorically dense, and should be limited or eliminated to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Ingredients (Sweet Potato Cakes):
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup of gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp. of freshly ground flax seed (use blender to grind your flax seeds)
- 1/4 cup shelled sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Coconut oil spray for the skillet to help with sticking
Method (Sweet Potato Cakes):
1. Boil the whole sweet potatoes (with skins) in a large pot full of water for at least a half an hour. When they are done a knife will slide easily through them.
2. Remove them to a clean dry towel or cutting board to cool. When they have cooled, use a knife to easily remove their peels and any dark spots. Cut them into large pieces.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the finely ground flaxseed with the almond milk and allow it to set for about ten minutes before adding the rest of the dry ingredients.
4. Smash the sweet potato pieces as you add them to the mixture. They will smash easily. Combine until a sticky dough has formed.
5. Lightly spray some coconut oil on your skillet and add the sweet potato dough by tablespoons. Gently smash with a spatula to form cakes. You can cook 2-4 at a time.
6. Cook the cakes for about five minutes on each side until they are golden brown, then remove from the skillet to a plate to allow them to cool.
Ingredients (Tart Cranberry Sauce):
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 4 cups of fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup maple whiskey (use plain maple syrup if you are alcohol-free)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup agave syrup pinch of salt
Method (Tart Cranberry Sauce):
1. To clean the cranberries, put them in a large bowl full of water. One by one, give the cranberries a light squeeze between two fingers to make sure they are firm, not mushy and soft. (fun for little ones) You want to make sure you only use firm cranberries.
2. Transfer all of the firm berries to a large pot to cook or sauce pan.
3. Add the remaining ingredients to the crock pot or sauce pan with the berries and cook them over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about thirty minutes. When the sauce has thickened and the majority of the berries have broken down, you should be ready.
4. Be careful when stirring your sauce, as very fresh berries can “pop”.
5. Allow the sauce to cool and firm up a bit before topping each of your sweet potato cakes with tart cranberry sauce. Enjoy!