This salsa is my husband’s favorite and if I am not careful he can eat the entire thing in one sitting! You have probably seen this salsa before as it is a staple in many Mexican restaurants. You can find it in a can in the ethnic food section if you can’t seem to find green tomatoes at your local grocery store, but this recipe is all about making it fresh at home! The main ingredients are organic green tomatoes, of course. There are a thousand ways to do it, some add other ingredients like avocado, lemon, oil or broth. The truth is that you can do what you like best by simply adding or removing certain ingredients based on your preference. Let your imagination run wild! This sauce goes best with toast, tortillas, enchiladas, tacos, etc. The recipe is so quick and easy to prepare. Here is how we made it:
- 10 green tomatoes, peeled
- 1/2 onion of your choice, white or red
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-2 serrano or jalapeno chilies
- A dash of coriander
- Garlic powder to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large, flat skillet, add your green tomatoes, onion and garlic till the tomatoes just start to brown. Your goal is to warm them so they are nice and soft.
- After they feel soft and squishy to the touch, transfer them to your blender and add the remaining ingredients.
- That’s it! Your very own beautiful green tomato sauce. Store it in your refrigerator for about a week and it will always be there for a quick, healthy snack. If you will not eat it within that week, freeze it and thaw it when ready! Enjoy!