Kid to Kid: Tips for Healthy Eating *No Parents Allowed*
What You Will Learn From This Week’s Podcast:
It is tough for kids to take their parents’ advice on healthy eating. In this episode, Izzy, Cory’s seven year-old daughter, will talk to your kids about eating healthy and three tips that can help them do it. I have found that just like my friend Raw Food Levi (in a previous episode), that kids can often times inspire other kids to take action and try new things. This is one you will not want to miss!
Mentioned In The Podcast:
- Try new things – As a parent, it is super easy to fall into a rut of making the same thing for your kids over and over again because it is what they like. Trust me, I have been there. Sometimes you just want to put a pizza in the oven and be done. I am not saying to never do that, I am just saying don’t forget to try new things from time to time. Encourage your kids to give it a really good try and explain to them that a negative face or sound before or after trying something is disrespectful behavior and hurts your feelings. Teach them how to say respectfully after several tries that they do not like their meal and then it is up to you as the parent to make them something else or tell them that dinner is dinner and if they do not like it, they can go to bed. Often times when you tell them that, the food starts to taste really good again. : )
- Drink Smoothies – Making smoothies is the easiest way to get fruits and veggies in your kids. Have them help you! Find the flavor they like. My daughter likes strawberry and my son likes chocolate. I have to make two separate smoothies, but it is totally worth it to know that they are getting a day’s worth of plant-based protein and calcium from the almond milk.
- Eat Your Veggies – For some reason, we program our kids early that vegetables are something they have to eat. What if you made it something they love? For instance, make broccoli trees and ask your little man to be the monster that eats all the trees. You can ask him to show you how a monster eats the trees and then have him show you his muscles after he takes a big bite!
Latest posts by Lean Green DAD™ (see all)
- Prebiotic or Probiotic? Which Is Best For Kids? - June 26, 2017
- Vegan Muscle Man Robert Cheeke! - June 21, 2017
- Drafted Into Fatherhood: From Waterboy to Quarterback - June 16, 2017