I cannot think of one person that does not like smores! They are great outside during the cold months, but have you ever been to a restaurant that actually serves them INSIDE nice and warm for dessert? I have! I saw a smores recipe from one of my favorite blogs, Minimalist Baker, and she got my mind racing with what I could do to add a twist to them. That’s when it hit me! Coconut peanut butter from Earth Balance! It was a hit! My wife at three (hope she is not mad at me for revealing that). The kids loved them and they were super gooey and delicious.
You might be asking yourself “What makes these vegan?.” It’s all about the marshmallows. Many of them contain gelatin and so I don’t ruin your appetite, I will just tell you that gelatin is not vegan. To read more about gelatin and what it is and where it comes from, click here. (but be ready for the harsh reality)
I made this with my daughter, so the recipe is kid-friendly. Here it is:
- Your favorite vegan graham crackers
- vegan chocolate (I get mine at Whole Foods)
- Earth Balance coconut peanut butter spread
- Organic Coconut Oil
- Vegan marshmellows. Our favorite brand is Dandies (also found at Whole Foods)
- Lay out your graham crackers on a cookie sheet.
- Place your marshmallows on top of each graham cracker.
- Turn on your oven to broil, which will heat just the top really really hot.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven and watch it like a hawk for one minute. You want them to get brown on top and then take them out immediately or they will melt!
- Add one hefty scoop of the chocolate peanut butter to the vegan chocolate you have. Then add a tablespoon of coconut oil to help liquify everything.
- Zap it in the microwave for :30 seconds.
- Drizzle the chocolate happiness all over the top of your smores and enjoy!
IMPORTANT UPDATE! Be sure to use dandies marshmallows and not the ones featured in the video. The packaging was a bit misleading and I later found out that there was some type of fish gelatin in them. Dandies are a great product!
Latest posts by Lean Green DAD™ (see all)
- Vegan Under Pressure With Jill Nussinow - May 22, 2017
- The Real Answer: Why Oil Is Not Healthy - May 18, 2017
- Kid Review: Matilda The Musical On Tour In Orlando! - May 12, 2017