Being vegan and eating a plant-based diet doesn’t mean that you eat salads all the time. In fact, if you are transitioning from eating meat to a plant-based diet, you might need to take it a step at a time. For those of you who are working to get away from meat-based products, I recommend you give Gardein products a try! This post is NOT a sponsored post, so I am not receiving any compensation…I just really enjoy their product. Tonight we made a great meal using their Chick’n Scallopini product and here is how we did it:
- Gardein Chick’n Scallopini (available in the frozen section of your local Whole Foods Market or any other grocery store)
- Brown Rice/Wild Rice dry rice (the kind that takes 25 minutes to make…or a brown rice steam bag if you’re in a hurry)
- Organic, local zucchini and onions
- Organic broccoli (not featured in the video) We used steam-in-the-bag from the frozen section of our grocery store
- Local vegan pasta or your pasta of choice from the grocery store
- Unlike in the video, you will want to start your rice first since it takes the most time to heat up the water and cook. Follow the instructions on the back of the rice you get, but it should take around 20 minutes
- Once your rice is simmering, heat up your skillet with a tad bit of olive oil* (3 or 4 setting on my skillet worked great) Follow the instructions to cook the chick’n from Gardein…super easy. *olive oil is optional and definitely not necessary. If you are focused on heart health or looking to lose a few pounds, consider skipping the oil and using vegetable broth instead.
- Once your chick’n is done, cut up some fresh, local, organic zucchini and onions and cook them in your skillet with some additional vegetable broth.
- Choose a pasta of choice and make that in a separate pot, following the directions on the back. Ours took around 8 minutes to cook in boiling water. We went with a vegan pasta from Orlando City Pasta, but a whole wheat pasta from the grocery store would work nicely as well. Add your favorite low-sugar tomato sauce for a wonderful side dish and you are set to go!
Latest posts by Lean Green DAD™ (see all)
- Vegan Muscle Man Robert Cheeke! - June 21, 2017
- Drafted Into Fatherhood: From Waterboy to Quarterback - June 16, 2017
- Dick Hoyt – The Dad All Dads Should Look Up To - June 14, 2017