Fall is here and that means it is time for some muscle-building food! My favorite go-to food is stuffed acorn squash. I like it on the sweeter side, but my wife prefers salty. Either way is great. I have a few ideas for you in the above video, so make sure you check it out. This short recipe will show you how to prepare it to your liking right from the comfort of your own home!
- One or Two Organic Acorn Squashes
- Brown Rice or Quinoa
- Engine 2 Diet’s Frozen Fiesta Medley
- For Sweet: brown sugar, cinnamon, maple syrup
- For Salty: sea salt, beans or anything else you’d like to throw in it
- Cut the acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- If you have the time, place the acorn squash face down on a cookie sheet or an 11x9 pan with around an inch of water in it to help steam the squash. Before doing so, you might want to paint the inside of the squash with some coconut oil to help prevent burning. If you use this method, let the squash bake for 35-40 minutes.
- If you are pressed for time, you can also cook the squash in 1/3 of the time by using a steamer. Place the squash in the steamer face down for ten minutes.
- While your squash is cooking, prepare some brown rice or quinoa to go in your bowl as a nice base.
- Whatever method you choose from #3 or #4 above to cook your squash, once you are done the squash should scrape out easily with a fork.
- For a sweet bowl: Add brown sugar, cinnamon, and maple syrup.
- For a salty bowl, consider adding sea salt or one of the Engine 2 Frozen Fiesta Blend. Just microwave or even better cook in a skillet and add it to your squash bowl! It’s delicious!
Latest posts by Lean Green DAD™ (see all)
- Vegan Muscle Man Robert Cheeke! - June 21, 2017
- Drafted Into Fatherhood: From Waterboy to Quarterback - June 16, 2017
- Dick Hoyt – The Dad All Dads Should Look Up To - June 14, 2017